Tuesday, August 31, 2010

oh the androgyny.

As I was walking to school the other day. . .
I came across the cutest thing.
A few blocks in front of me, I noticed a mom pushing a stroller, with a little one in it.
LOoooooove babies.
By mama's side, I saw another little one pushing a cart with a 'baby' in it.
To my surprise, the other 'little one' turned out to be a boy.
I couldn't help but stare, as I saw this boy (no older than 4), mimic his mother.
He was wearing camo, cargo shorts and was also sporting a mohawk.
Little cutie -
The stroller was definitely pink. All pink.
Unfortunately the above image is not of the actual situatioonnnneee, but you get the gist.
Since I took a women's studies course in Mankato, I have been extremely in-tune with tom girls and sissy boys; the psychology behind what children play with and why, fascinates me. 
Also, when I was young I always played tractors with my brother, and in return, he played dolls with me. So what's the deal?
Are the parents responsible? Why wouldn't he rather be pushing a car down the side of the street?
I don't really know for sure..but I like it.
There shouldn't be any sort of norm for a child - what they play with, or what color they are wearing, and the list goes on.
But, sadly, there is.
I just found it a bit intriguing. That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment