Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Recipe: Strawberry Rhubarb Slush

Tis the season for rhubarb!
As I was home for the long weekend, I was craving some sort of summery drink, but I didn't have a whole lot of time or ingredients. Although I found many recipes online, I opted to tweak this one - it seemed to be the most simple. Instead of the 8 c. of 'barb the recipe called for, I subbed some fresh/frozen strawberries from Leafblad's last summer, that I dug out of my freezer. Even though I altered the amount of ingredients, a huge batch was still concocted. Which worked out - summer in a glass two nights in a row for this lucky lady and our Memorial Day guests.

2.5-3 c. of chopped rhubarb
2 c. frozen strawberries
about 2 qts. of water

Boil until tender.
Add:
Sugar, to taste
1/2-1 pkg. of strawberry JELLO - add to taste, sugary.
1/2 c. lemon juice
Desired amount of vodka, smirnoff, bacardi - what have you.


Freeze in ice cream pail. Stir every hour until slushy and before serving. If you so choose, add more alcohol. To serve - fill glass 1/2 full of slush add 7-UP, club soda or gingerale. Please observe my serving glass of choice: the fabulous mason jar. And if the weather doesn't say summer, the drink will.
YUM.

1 comment:

  1. yum-diddily-um-cious!!! I'll be making plenty of those this summer! Thanks for the recipe, Sensea!

    ReplyDelete