Tuesday, October 26, 2010

jazz clubs.

who knew they could be so sensual?
A couple of weeks ago, Jon and I paid a visit to a St. Paul jazz club - Artists' Quarter - in order for him to meet a requirement for his Jazz History class. Either of us had been to one before and we didn't really know what to expect. Jon was a little hesitant to go, at first, and said he could probably wing his paper without going. I agreed that he probably could wing it, however, some things just require experiencing and I was bored, nonetheless, so I (the lovely girlfriend) encouraged the little outing.













So, we made our way to Saint Peter Street, right in the heart of downtown St. Paul. After we found parking, we meandered our way through the more historic part of downtown and followed the amazing architecture to our destination. I soon realized that downtown St. Paul had such a different feel to it, than downtown Minneapolis - it's cleaner, classier and most of the people living there are a bit older (30s+) and are somewhat more distinguished. As we entered the building, we were led undergroung by means of a concrete stairwell, which reminded me of a subway station. As we entered the club and found a place to sit amongst the others, I noticed paintings of the legends upon the walls, surrounding the stage - Miles Davis, Roy Haynes, Eddie Berger.. The band (The Tyler Anderson Quarter) was just starting a new song. The ambiance of the club was electrifying - consisting of soft lighting, exposed bricks and air ducts and velvet curtains draping across the stage. The air was warm, yet stiff, with the aroma of brandy.
Jazz is such a unique genre of music - the band was so dependent on the audience, as they played off of their emotions. As a past band member myself, I was impressed by each player's ability to keep their own, different beat. There was a sax, cello, piano, drumset and trumpet - quite impressive.
I was amazed, mostly, by the audience and observed them for a good portion of my time being there. Every person in that room (probably besides me, at that point) was so absorbed in what the band was doing. Bobbing heads and tapping toes were to be seen all around. Moods changed with the music, from smiley, upbeat tunes to somber sounds. The boy even got to interview the lead musician during intermission - so proud. :) Overall, it was a very unexpected, relaxing experience. I would now recommend anyone to pay a visit to a jazz club. Best part of all, it was free!

1 comment:

  1. i love jazz.. thanks for the info. We'll have to check it!

    ReplyDelete