Tuesday, September 28, 2010

OHhhhhh...the Androgyny: take 2.

Retailers may be more responsible for gender norms and stereotyping than they think.
As I was walking to school the other day, I came across the cutest, most eye-opening, thing. A few blocks in front of me, I noticed a mom pushing a stroller, with an infant in it. Since I love babies, I am never hesitant to get a closer look. By mama's side, I saw a little one pushing a cart with a 'baby’ doll in it. To my surprise, the little one turned out to be a boy. I couldn't help but stare, as I saw this boy (no older than 4), mimic his mother. He was looking as boyish as he ever could – sporting camouflage, cargo shorts and a Mohawk.

The stroller was definitely pink - all pink. Unfortunately the image (to the right) is not of the actual situation, but you get the gist. Ever since I took a women's studies course at Minnesota State University, Mankato, I have been extremely in-tune with the concept of tom girls and sissy boys; the psychology behind what children play with and why, fascinates me. Also, when I was a child, I always played tractors with my brother, and in return, he played dolls with me. So what's the deal? Are the parents and environment responsible? Why wouldn't that little boy rather be pushing a toy car down the side of the street? I don't really know for sure, but I like it. There shouldn't be any sort of norm for a child - what they play with, or what color they are wearing, and the list goes on. But, sadly, there is. I’m sure everyone can recall a different story when they think of gender norms.

Currently, there is a back-to-school television ad, for Target, that features the song Free to Be … You and Me. The tune, performed by The Seekers, in 1972, echoed the sounds of equality and individuality. It has been called the anthem of the 70s, because it helped fight against the misconceptions of gender stereotypes. Ironic is what I would call the ad, as triplet sisters are able to ‘express’ themselves through Target’s current fall trends. On that note, Target is currently under speculation regarding their monetary support of Republican candidate for Governor of Minnesota, Tom Emmer, who is against gay rights. Large companies, like Target, are sometimes unaware of the impact they can have on society and must take responsibility for their actions.

Advertisements are obvious messages to the public. If they are not cohesive with what the company is doing in a more private setting, they are bound to gain negative buzz. On a more personal note, we all must play our own parts; society must not be naïve to current events and remember what we have worked so hard to gain – freedom of expression, equality and the right to do what we want, when we want. I was proud, that day, when I saw the mother with the little boy pushing the doll in that ALL PINK stroller. Our children are the future – what we teach them today is what they will teach their children, tomorrow.
Photo via Google Images

No comments:

Post a Comment