Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Officially...

A platinum blonde!
Randomly, the other day, I had this unexplainable urge to dye my hair, white - KIDDING. This idea has been bouncing around in my head for the past couple of years now - I am a very thorough person when it comes to the decisions I make, involving body modification (too bad that's not the case for all of my decisions, hmm). These concepts are usually in the works years before they actually happen and I am always (99.9% of the time) happy with the results.
My dear friend, Megan, is a student at the Aveda Institute in northeast Minneapolis.
Her and her friend, Shayna, worked their magic. As you can see from the picture, my hair is super long, even after 3 inches was taken off. So, I wasn't suprised when, at one point, I had 3 ladies rubbing toner into my hair (there is a first for everything, I suppose). The whole double process of going this light is not glamorous, by any means, but it was definitely worth the hours of sitting in a chair. I do, in the near future, plan to do another round and lighten to a white/silvery gray tone - kind of like Gaga, if you're familiar - That is the goal. There is quite a bit of maintenance required when you're bright blonde - here are a few of my favorite Aveda/Non-Aveda products that are now a mandatory part of the hair arsenal, if I want to keep my hair healthy and happy.

1] Aveda Damage Remedy, Daily Hair Repair - $24 - I use this after I shower, when my hair is damp. Made from plant-derived proteins (quinoa), it detangles and protects from heat and styling.

2 & 3] Blue Malva Shampoo & Conditioner - $24 (1 liter) & $18 (8.5 fl oz) respectively - Literally blue in color, this duo works together to counteract the natural, brassy tones that show over time. Think back to your middle school art class - blue is opposite from yellow on the color wheel - snazzy. I was advised not to leave it on too long, because my freshly dyed locks would easily turn blue. Yum. These two are also wonderful detanglers and make your hair shiny and silky smooth.
4] Moroccan Oil - $20 - Like the natural oils in your hair, this concoction makes dry hair healthy, smooth and shiny. As you can see, between the products and root touch ups, this style can get pretty spendy, but most of these products are investments that can last quite awhile. If you are thinking about going platinum and you're darker than a dark blonde, light brown - I probably wouldn't recommend it, just because the darker your hair is, the more damaging it will be.

2 comments:

  1. i'm in love with your hair. AND that you are such a great promoter for aveda :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sam! AND - of course, great ladies, great products! :)

    ReplyDelete