Monday, June 6, 2011

Easy Asparagus

I have just recently added this veg to the favorites category, for a few reasons - 1] It's now in season, so it's fairly cheap (Rainbow: $1.99/lb). 2] Preparation couldn't be more simple. 3] Asparagus is super healthy for you - remember, with veggies, the greener the better. I tend to opt for the skinny stalks as opposed to the thicker ones, since they tend to be less woody/stringy.






My favorite way to prepare asparagus is probably the easiest. Chop stalks to desired length, boil/salt water and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until tender. They really boil quickly, so make sure you do a few test bites to make sure they aren't overdone (and who's complaining about that one? - Not I.) Season with coarse salt and veggie pepper and BAM - done in a cinch. I also added asparagus to my last pan of tator tot hotdish (added about 10 mins. before bake time was done) and it was AMAZING. Have a favorite asparagus recipe? Do share!

No comments:

Post a Comment