Wednesday, June 8, 2011

It's Not About You

My lovely boyfriend showed me this article, given to him in one of his classes. Written by David Brooks for The New York Times, the piece establishes what college graduates are now facing as the enter the unstructured job market and inherit a massive amount of federal debt. It also explains that more and more students are finding their calling based on problems that they have faced in their lives thus far, as they are now rooted with that calling to solve the problem instead of finding a generic career that puts food on the table. This article resonates with me, because I find myself so eager to go to grad school and, hopefully, my summer trip to the Canada/Seattle area will confirm that. As a recent grad, nearing the anniversary of my first year out of academia, I find myself unsatisfied with where I am at, I am disgusted at the job market and think there really is no better time to go back to school - to ultimately, boost the value of my degree, but moreso, to learn.






A week after I graduated with my Bachelors, I already had a long list of field books that I wanted to check out from the library. Social Psych. fascinates me, and I am determined to get there, one way or another. For myself and for my future. Today's employers do not respect college grads like they used to - without experience, a degree doesn't mean a thing. Money will always be an issue. Education, on the other hand, is something that can never be taken away.

No comments:

Post a Comment