Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Homemade Vegetarian Broccoli Cheese Soup

A personal spin on a recipe I found called, Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup, courtesy of Food.com (love this site). Of course, there was a ton of positive feedback just luring me in...and I was raised on one of the best cheesey soups ever; thanks mom. However, sometimes you just have to figure things out for yourself and find your own way of doing it, the 'second-best' way. But mostly, I was craving it - - which is always good enough of a reason for me to cook anything. It has finally cooled down a bit here in MN, and although some might consider me crazy for wanting to make a hot soup during the summer, I see it as fabulous timing. Between what I had in the pantry and what I found in the garden, I had to buy two things: half-n-half and sharp cheddar cheese. It's really a perfect course for this time of the year - broccoli, carrots, potatoes, peas and beans are all pretty much in full force.






Here's the deal:
Serves 8
1 tsp melted butter
1/2 medium chopped red onion
1/4 c melted butter
1/2 c flour - then add to desired thickeness
3 1/4 c half-n-half cream
c vegetable broth
2 1/2 - 3 c fresh broccoli
2 c carrots - coined
1/2 c fresh peas - out of pod
1/2 c green beans
a sprinkle of nutmeg *careful
8.5 oz. sharp cheddar - the bolder, the better
salt and pepper to taste









Directions:

1] Sauté onion in butter. Set aside.
2] Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
3] Stir constantly and add the half-n-half.
4] Add the vegetable broth. Simmer for 20 minutes.
5] Add the VEG: broccoli, carrots, potatoes, peas, beans and onions. Cook over low heat 20-25 minutes, or until tender.
6]  Add salt and pepper. Remove from heat and add cheese. To avoid curdling, especially if you're using low fat goodies (HOPE NOT!), do not heat/boil soup after adding cheese.
7] Stir in nutmeg.
I know this will now be my GO-TO recipe for years to come - honestly! It turned out fabulous - took a little time and babysitting, but it was well worth it!

Pair with a your favorite dipping bread and you have a lovely meal - ideal for any season!

No comments:

Post a Comment