Monday, December 27, 2010

The Ultimate Social Experiment

"So when you think no one is watching, do you step in, step up or step away, we ask - what would you do?!"
As you have all probably realized, I watch quite a bit of tv and I feel like most of the shows I am infatuated with are reality, or smutty talk shows (Jerry Springer, Steve Wilkos, etc.) Again, not exactly sure why, I just find them so gosh darn interesting, as well as entertaining - of course! There is nothing that gets me more worked up, however, than hearing Mr. John Quiñones say that opening quote at the beginning of every What Would You Do? episode. In my opinion, ABC struck gold when they produced this show - an ethical, hidden camera (according to their website) masterpiece (according to me), that throws testing situations at unknowing subjects AKA normal human beings AKA you and I. Some of my favorite scenarios include Baby Left in the Hot Car, Pregnant and Drinking, Abusive Boyfriend, Forced into Polygamy and MANY more.
Needless to say, I am OBsessed with the show. Although these, particular, fictional situations may be staged, similar situations - if not identical - are happening in our society on a daily basis. There is often a Social Psychologist that appears on the show and comments on what is taking place and why. . .As a lover of social psych., I think it's great that ABC is out there, with cameras in hand, making sure we're all behaving ourselves and watching out for one another. Because, once that day comes when no one gives a crap - it'll be the end. Since the show travels all over the place, it wouldn't hurt to be prepared - as if you haven't already spent your life preparing, right? Let's hope so, but in the meantime, here is a quiz I found on ABC.com- test yourself and your ethical views: What Would YOU Do?!?! Quiz. OH...and if you haven't catched an episode yet, I HIGHLY recommend it - OBviously.
Photo found here!

No comments:

Post a Comment