Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Best Mashed Potatoes Ever?

....I know so.
We still have a ton of potatoes from the garden, this summer, stored in the cold barn - so, when I was home over Thanksgiving, my dad loaded me with spuds galore. I was trying to figure out some creative recipes to try out with them, so they didn't go to waste. I came to the conclusion that I was long overdue for some mashed potatoes, but didn't really know how to make them, creatively?, so to speak. I love http://www.food.com/, so I knew if I needed a recipe, I should check them out first. The answer, roasted GARLIC, and plenty of fattening additions - (half & half/cream, plenty of butter, sour cream, mmm). I came across this recipe: delicious, simple, best I've ever had - boom, no brainer.

What you need:
2 lbs potatoes
1 head of garlic
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1/4 cup of sour cream
4 tablespoons of butter
milk or cream, if needed
salt
pepper
 
What to do:
1] Separate head of garlic into individual cloves.
2] Toss in olive oil and wrap tightly in small piece of aluminum foil.
3] Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 45 minutes.
4] When the garlic has cooled to the touch you should be able to squeeze it out of the 'paper' shell of the individual cloves.
5] Mash the roasted garlic with a fork, or force through a fine strainer.
6] If you use a ricer as recommended below, simply rice the garlic along with the potatoes.
7] Peel and boil potatoes in salted water until tender.
8] Force the cooked potatoes through a ricer (recommended) or mash by your usual method.
9] Put the riced potatoes, garlic, sour cream, butter, and salt and white pepper in a mixer bowl, and whip at medium speed until smooth.
10] Add cream or milk to adjust consistency.
http://www.food.com/recipe/roasted-garlic-mashed-potatoes-the-best-youve-ever-had-68159

No comments:

Post a Comment